Idea Bank
11. Intergenerational and Diverse Workplace
a. Valuing each other rather than tolerating one another.
22. Goodwill-Badwill
a. New business model increases profits but makes low price goods less accessible to those in need.
33. Health and wellness claims in the last 60+ years. Which ones have validity 60 years later.
44. Are we looking for racism where there isn’t any and is it getting in the way of real discussions about racism?
55. What do we do when the people we love are not the kind of people we like?
Idea Bank 1. Intergenerational and diverse workplaces. -Inspired by a job I recently left at College Housing, a residential complex in Goose Hollow that provides housing to college students, including a large percentage of international students. In the time I was on that job, my attitudes toward people in their 20's changed and I grew a new appreciation for them. I also developed relationships with people from all over the world and had a chance to know them separate from the politics of their countries. -What will it take to value one another rather than tolerate one another? Age groups. Cultures. Religion. Races. 2. Badwill of the Goodwill -Inspired by my experience over the last 25 years with the Goodwill and the changes I've seen in the business model -They used to provide reasonably priced goods to those who needed them and leveled the playing field for all buyers. Now the Goodwill builds stores in high rent areas and item are priced unreasonably, in a way that separate buyers into the "haves" and "have-nots" or the "can" and "can nots". -The emphasis has pivoted to helping individuals find jobs but isn't it possible to do both? 3. Health and wellness claims that have either been proven wrong or held up over the last 60 years. -fat in the diet -health benefits of vinegar -weight bearing exercise and bone density -effects of sitting on health -vitamin c as a preventative to airborne illness -carbohydrates and weight loss 4. Are people looking for racism where there isn't any? Is it getting in the way of real discussions about racism? -Cornbread. Sugar vs no sugar. White cornmeal vs yellow cornmeal. http://madamenoire.com/623911/whats-the-difference-between-white-people-and-black-peoples-cornbread/ -Can people be sorted into a group or can assumptions be made based on these choices? -Should I change my preference in order to be associated with a different group? -Is it contextual? Does choosing a type of cornbread in North Dakota mean something different than in Alabama? I grew up in California but lived in Texas for quite a while. Things I did in California had a different meaning in Texas. Or rather, things that had no meaning in California, had meaning in Texas. -How does it feel to find out the origin of a tradition when the origin is shady? unpleasant? hateful? -It's not just cornbread. In the last few weeks there have been articles online suggesting that excessive tanning and braiding hair in cornrows by white women might be racist. The Gap had to pull an advertisement featuring children in motion because a taller white girl posed with her elbow resting on the head of a smaller child of color. The children turned out to be related and it was quite innocent but some suggested the pose conveyed oppression. -Are we being punked or pranked by manufactured outrage and controversy? The post about cornbread brought a lot of traffic to the website Madam Noire. Are we victims of "click bait"? Is this damaging to the discussion about real issues.
Good ideas--and lots of them! I'll be interested to see where this journey takes you.
ReplyDeleteI just know that when I was growing up I was taught to get along with everybody and I still try to take that approach as an adult. I know I was really upset one day when this customer where I work said I was racist. I was like heck no, my own nephews and niece are 1/2 hispanic and when we get together with my brother in laws family there is hispanic foods and traditions going on. All of which we enjoy.
ReplyDelete